Quick Query Form
The Importance of an Apartment Survey
It is common to overlook the importance of having an apartment surveyed. Many apartments inspected by us have presented with substantial issues, some of which were significant enough for our Clients to withdraw from the purchase.
Common issues encountered by us during Apartment Surveys include, but are not limited to:
- Problems with internal fire doors such as missing chain and external door arm closers. Many internal fire doors are badly installed and rarely properly maintained.
- Poorly installed common area/protected corridor fire doors including missing fire door labelling and excessive gaps between door leafs and frames. Missing or damaged cold smoke seals..
- Fire compartmentation issues between apartments and common corridors due to absent fire stopping.
- Inadequate ventilation due to missing vents or weak mechanical extraction systems.
- External and internal water penetration issues i.e. through overhead balconies, as well as flooding/structural issues affecting underground car parking.
- Structural defects affecting apartment facades due to the absence or under provision of expansion joints or more fundamental structural defects.
- Balcony design problems.
Building & Planning Regulation compliance issues frequently come to light following an investigation by our Clients Legal Advisors based on our advice along with Owners Management Company problems such as inadequately financed Sinking Funds.
Summary of Main Issues encountered when conducting Apartment Surveys
- Non-compliance with Part F (Ventilation) & Part B (Fire) of the Building Regulations i.e. missing wall and trickle ventilation and poor or absent mechanical ventilation. The absence of fire collars where ducts/pipes penetrate compartment floors/walls or inadequate fire stopping.
- Rainwater penetration through external walls and leaks/water breaches from overhead balconies and through defective flat roofs.
- Neglected common areas indicating a possible problem with the Property Management.
- Structural issues due to poor design and construction i.e. excessive cracking due to under provision of expansion joints.
Our Apartment Survey reports mostly contain the headings illustrated under Pre-Purchase Home Surveys along with important additional information regarding Fire Safety and Owners Management Company issues.
We conduct Apartment Surveys primarily in Dublin and surrounding counties Kildare, Meath Wicklow and Louth but also provide a Nationwide service. To book your Apartment Survey simply fill in the Quick Query Form here or phone us in Dublin on 01 6856935 or Galway on 091-399935.